Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Pope visits "bad parents"?

If I am right (and I've been wrong before), Pope Benedict agreed to visit two parents who routinely locked their kids in their Portuguese hotel while they went out to party at night. I think I'm correctly connecting this story with an earlier one that I read, but I can't find the original one. I heard that they left their four year old in charge of her two two year old siblings for thirteen days in a row. And that they were surprised whey they came back and she was abducted. If I'm wrong on this, let me know and I'll pull this post. But, if I'm right, while I feel nothing but sadness for little Madeleine McCann, I can't help but think that her parents' sort of had it coming. It was just a question of time.

I hope the Pope uses his time to not only tell them that he will pray for them but to gently scold them for being so lax in protecting their kids. I'm sure there are cultural differences but I can't imagine a culture where a four year old can really take care of two two year old kids for any length of time. A four year old can't take of herself. How can she deal with two crying babies?

2 comments:

DominiSumus said...

As the mother of a 2 year old, I am horrified that anyone would do that. I feel inadequate to care for a two year old on a regular basis, I can't imagine a 4 year old caring for two. 4 year olds can't even care for themselves.

Even if they are sleeping, little kids can wake up at anytime and go looking for trouble.

While I feel for the parents, I can't think of much worse than losing a child, I think they were definately negligent.

DominiSumus said...

Also, one correction. They left the 4 year old in charge of the 2 year old twins while they went for dinner each night...not all day long. They thought it was ok because they were returning to the room every 1/2 hour to check on the kids.

3 E B We are witnesses of God’s forgiveness

  Friends Peace be with you.  What do bunnies, chocolate, or eggs have to do with the resurrection of Jesus? It’s all wrapped up in the ...