Monday, November 21, 2005

The Man in Black

I went to see the movie "Walk the Line" last night. It was very dark because it highlighted the tough times that Johnny Cash went through with drugs and alcohol. My favorite scene was when June Carter's father chased off Whalen Jennings (who was delivering drugs for Johnny) with a shotgun.

Here's what I learned: Johnny Cash never stood up for himself and never took any credit for anything until June made him. I'm still pondering this because it's more profound than a simple "stand up for yourself" message. It's about accountability and standing up for what is right instead of going through life as though you are affected by countless other uncontrolable variables.

I also learned that June Carter wrote the song "Ring of Fire."

No comments:

5 E B: inviting the uncomfortable

 Friends Peace be with you.  Have you ever made a friend that you were skeptical of how long your friendship would last? Sometimes, when...