Monday, April 04, 2011

The weekend and why my homily will take a while...

This weekend started off good enough. The weather was going to be warm with chances of rain in the evenings, which was really good considering how horribly my last week had gone. It was just a very busy week with way too many 13 and 14 hour days. I got to Friday and realized that, if I didn’t do something stupid, I may actually have an entire evening free. I got caught up on some emails and telephone calls and I tried to focus on the readings for Sunday Mass. Nothing was coming to me. I couldn’t find a message my people needed to hear. I went to bed confident that it would come.

On Saturday, I slept in a little. I’d had some short nights the previous week and thought it would be good to try and catch up. I prayed, had confession, and did some laundry. After confessions were over, I returned to my homily and prayed over the readings some more. Still, nothing was coming to me. For four hours I prayed and for four hours nothing would come to me. I went to the my files and pulled out a homily from six years ago that I wasn’t satisfied with but that had to do. In the middle of preaching at my first mass, the homily came to me. It was like I was hearing them for the first time with clarity. I went to my other rectory and wrote down what I wanted to say and even managed to get to bed early.

On Sunday, I woke up and preached the new homily at the two morning masses, went to an Eagle Scout ceremony, had two communal reconciliations and then collapsed back in my other rectory. I read a little of the Pope’s new book (Jesus of Nazareth 2) and went to sleep. All in all, a good, full day.

I remember being in Ames in my last assignment and thanking God that these incredibly busy days were few and far between. I tend to remember the days when I would be able to spend time with students or days I would take some time to go work in my garden around the little church in Gilbert. It takes days like this to remind me of those other days; days when I would sleep poorly thinking about all the appointments I had for the next day or days when I had to go home to let off some steam after a particular trying staff meeting. I’m glad I don’t think about those days all the time. 


Kristi said...

From listening to the homily on Sunday morning, I would never have guessed that you had any struggle preparing it. You were so animated and excited! I so enjoy listening to your homilies and learning something new and seeing things from other viewpoints than I am accustomed. Keep up the good work, Fr.!

Kris Egan said...

I'm curious to know what your homily was about.

And as for "STAph infection meetings" .... well, let's put it this way ... yesterday's was a doozy! Continue to count your blessings you DON'T have to deal with those issues anymore!

Maybe you could go out in a nearby field and FLY A KITE one of these nice, breezy, spring days! ;o)

Take care, my friend! Keep in touch!


Fr.Dennis said...

Hey Kris
I never did write it down. I hope I remember it in three years. It's just been a crazy couple of weeks. Easter can get here anytime soon.