Friday, April 02, 2010

Good Friday...heck it was a GREAT FRIDAY!

I've been a priest for 8 years now. I've done mass almost daily for 8 years of priesthood. The one day that I'm not allowed to do mass is today, Good Friday. For the last three years in a row, I've been out at my little rural parish, Sts. Peter and Paul in Gilbert, Iowa. I know my people out there and they know me. They trust me and I trust them.

We didn't do anything unusual at Sts. Peter and Paul. But there's something awesome about knowing what to expect because I've done it all before. The Passion Gospel was so powerful. I love to speak with the people, "Take him away! Take him away! Crucify Him!" It emphasizes just how privileged we are that Jesus really died for our sins.

Probably the most touching thing that happened was during the veneration of the cross. There were several parents holding children allowing the children to touch the cross. There was even a number of High School students that came forward and kissed the feet of Jesus.

I closed my homily with a quote from an early Holy Saturday Homily. "Something strange is happening -- there is a great silence on earth today, a great silence and stillness. The whole earth keeps silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. God has died in the flesh and hell trembles with fear."

No comments:

2 L B: Christianity is not a pithy pop song

  Friends Peace be with you.  As some of you know, the series The Chosen has been released in theaters. Last week, I had the opportunit...