Thursday, October 30, 2008

Maid Rite

One of the super special treats of growing up on Marshalltown, Iowa was a loose meat sandwich called the maid rite. It's basically a hamburger with ground beef instead of a patty. The Marshalltown Maid Rite has been in existence since before the great depression...no...not the one we're in right now. The 1920 one. In fact, up until recently, they wouldn't have ketchup available in the store because homeless folks would come off the trains and use ketchup to make tomato soup back in the 20's.

Tomorrow, I'm going to pick up my brother and bring him back to Ames for a couple of days. But, before I do, I'm going to stop and have a maid rite with him. I can't wait. It will be good to spend time with my brother and good to start that with a maid rite.

No comments:

2 L B: Christianity is not a pithy pop song

  Friends Peace be with you.  As some of you know, the series The Chosen has been released in theaters. Last week, I had the opportunit...