Friday, August 08, 2008

Three weddings in one weekend...yikes

I've never before done more than one wedding on a weekend. I've been in a church when I had one and another priest (the pastor) had one either the day before or the day after. This weekend, I have one wedding today, one tomorrow and one on Sunday. I have no idea if I need to prepare for this or not. Jumping Jacks? Sprints? Intense concentration on people's names?

I have a feeling it won't be the first time that I'll have a wedding during Sunday mass, however. I'm afraid that, in the future, with a declining number of priests, this will be a solution to the problem of having too many liturgies on one weekend. I haven't yet had a wedding where the normal Sunday mass crowd couldn't have been there. And it's not as though there has been a wedding liturgy that has added so much time to the normal Sunday Mass that people would be angry. The exclusivity would suffer. It would turn it from a private family mass into a celebration of the whole church. I'm sure some will bristle, especially those that are really shy! But those catholics that think a Saturday wedding covers for Sunday mass would finally feel vidicated.

1 comment:

John (Juancito) Donaghy said...

It's not uncommon here in Central America to have weddings at the Sunday Masses - or at other public Masses in rural communities. One Sunday the priest I work with had Mass and a wedding - as well as confessions and anointing of the sick in the same community.
By the way, there are lots of confessions here in Honduras and more people receive communion than i had seen in El Salvador.

3 E B We are witnesses of God’s forgiveness

  Friends Peace be with you.  What do bunnies, chocolate, or eggs have to do with the resurrection of Jesus? It’s all wrapped up in the ...