Thursday, September 20, 2007

I may never say a Tridintine Mass, but I'll never understand this...

Last night, I did a session on the US Catholic Catechism for Adults. I spent some time tonight catching up on some catholic news stories. I found this one about a bishop that has forbidden his priests from saying the Old mass in Latin, despite the permission of the Pope.

Law, in the catholic church, is meant to ensure people's rights and restrict people from trampling on the rights of others. This priest has the right to celebrate that mass. The bishop is trampling on that right because...because...uh...because the latin mass will destroy the faith of his people. No, that doesn't seem right.

Because the people would be damaged by not "understanding" the liturgy. Well, that's not necessarily true.

Because it doesn't fit the bishop's particular spirituality. Yeah. That sounds more correct.

He needs to read first Tuesday's reading.

1 comment:

DominiSumus said...

I have attended Mass is many languages that I didn't understand, but I still knew what was going on.

3 E B We are witnesses of God’s forgiveness

  Friends Peace be with you.  What do bunnies, chocolate, or eggs have to do with the resurrection of Jesus? It’s all wrapped up in the ...