Friday, July 20, 2007

Just back from the Cities

Things are spectacular in my life. I went to see the play version of my favorite musical called 1776. It has great quotes including....

"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace,
that two are called a law firm
and that three or more become a congress..."

I tend to replace congress with "staff meeting" or "committee" and it makes me chuckle. But, the most fascinating thing was that the audience found a lot more lines humorous than I thought they ever would. Certainly more than I laughed at in the movie. I expected they would think the last hour dragged beyond belief but that wasn't at all true. It all moved along well and there really was only one time that I thought to myself, "this should have been cut." It was a depressing song called "Is anybody there? Does anybody care?"

Two more lines deserve special mention: There's a line from Ben Franklin that says, "Those who would give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

And, my personal favorite

"...consider yourselves fortunate that you have John Adams (or Fr. Dennis Miller) here to abuse for no sane man would tolerate it!"

1 comment:

nabimba said...

"Sit down, Dennis!"

3 E B We are witnesses of God’s forgiveness

  Friends Peace be with you.  What do bunnies, chocolate, or eggs have to do with the resurrection of Jesus? It’s all wrapped up in the ...