Friday, April 07, 2006

Personal Update

I usually find lent to be kind-of like a marathon, or at least what I imagine a marathon to be. It starts off and I have a lot of high ideals, in the middle I realize that I'm not really living up to those ideals, and by the end, I'm so tired from living that I just want to get to Easter.

This year has been different. I've found myself exploring Benedictine spirituality. It has been a concern of mine for some time that I didn't have a spiritual "mentor", a saint whose life of faith assists me in my journey. That's what I've found so appealing about St. Benedict and Benedictine sprituality. In praying the psalms and a developed personal prayer, as well as the attitude of treating all guests like Christ and a profound sense of community, I've found my own prayer-life reinvigorated. I've especially found that the chanting of the liturgy of the hours, I've paid more attention to the words that I'm praying and found the time more rewarding...more spiritual. Now, if only God would suggest to the Archbishop that I try being a monk...

2 comments:

sirhair said...

:-)

I've always loved the liturgy of the hours... something powerful happens in your life when you dedicate the day to Him... (and by always I mean since I started praying them, which was two years ago at Gesthemane Monastery)...
I've found that God brings amazing blessings when we bless His name throughout the day... and I've also found we don't notice His blessings as much when we stop.

Tim Malone said...

I too must testify to the power of prayer. Though I must admit that lately I have had the sentiments that you describe, just waiting for Easter. However I realize this is directly linked to my not having a prayer routine, but instead an open time for meditation. Structure brings a more powerful experience of the grace of God. I felt this at New Melleray, and I look forward to integrating it into my own daily life. Should you be able to then, the monastic life would definitely provide this for you.

3 E B We are witnesses of God’s forgiveness

  Friends Peace be with you.  What do bunnies, chocolate, or eggs have to do with the resurrection of Jesus? It’s all wrapped up in the ...