Monday, February 21, 2005

Catechism part one

A priest is not just a priest. That might sound contradictory but it's true. When a priest is ordained, he is to be a three things; priest, prophet and king. These three terms in a special way summarize what it means to share in the bishop's apostolic priesthood. Most of the time when you think of a priest, you think of that guy that says mass. That's understandable, since we tend to interact with most people at the holy celebration of the mass. But we are also to be leaders (king) and prophets. An associate, most often, is freed from the responsibilities of leadership in order to fully develop prophetic (teaching) ministry. Unfortunately, with a priesthood shortage, we often end up quickly neglecting the role of priestly leader and taking up the kingly role very quickly. This happened with a friend of mine. He was assigned to a parish and quickly discovered that he was going to be responsible for closing down one of the parishes. He's walked with the parishioners and patiently explained things but, I'm sure, all along he has thought to himself that this isn't what an associate pastor is supposed to do. I've been fortunately lately. I've been able to stay out of the administration, somewhat, and focus a little on my prophetic role. Last Wednesday, I spoke to the parents of the first communion children about the Eucharist and its role in the church. I held a few sessions about the various ministries associated with the Eucharist for the parishioners in Dubuque. And, most exciting, I've begun a series of sessions on the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I hope, beginning tomorrow, to spend a few lines writing on the catechism's teaching a couple of times a week. I'm sure it won't be boring but, if you do read this, feel free to send me comment about a question that you'd like me to address. God's blessings.

No comments:

5 E B: inviting the uncomfortable

 Friends Peace be with you.  Have you ever made a friend that you were skeptical of how long your friendship would last? Sometimes, when...