Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Wow! Did that just happen?

This morning, I had the funeral of a woman named Delilah Kutsch. Delilah wasn't all that old but she had been battling lung cancer for a few years. Her children were sad but they also were glad that their mom wasn't suffering any more. I arrived about forty-five minutes before mass was to begin and discovered that there were no servers. So, we found a couple of adults to be servers for us, which turned out to have a bit of irony involved. The irony was the Fr. Paul Odekirk had written a letter to the diocese asking that they accept me as a priest. His brother, Fran, was one of the adults we found to be a server. The mass was nice. I've found that these are excellent opportunities to help begin a process of dealing with the loss of their loved one. We took Delilah to the cemetery, had the prayers there, and drove back to the parish school for the dinner. While people were milling around getting ready for the dinner, I noticed one older man walking down the stairs of the school. I smiled as I walked by and then walked over to talk to the older ladies who were serving. I looked back to the door and noticed that someone was on the floor with a bunch of people around. So, I walked over and saw the same man lying on the floor with people kneeling over him. They moved all the people back and started CPR. It was so difficult to go from celebrating a life to being concerned for the life of Delilah's brother-in-law. They took him away in the ambulance and he died at the hospital.

No comments:

5 E B: inviting the uncomfortable

 Friends Peace be with you.  Have you ever made a friend that you were skeptical of how long your friendship would last? Sometimes, when...