Monday, December 20, 2004

Unsafe travel

I had some time to think about things on the way back to my parish today. It was the first real snow for parts of Iowa today, including part of my drive. At one point, I found myself skidding sideways down the road heading for the ditch convinced that I was going to have to call a tow truck. Thankfully, however, things straightened out and I went on from there. I was really glad as things got clearer and clearer the closer I got to Dubuque until the roads were dry and there was no sign of snow. I keep thinking about the spokesman for the Catholic league, a defensive arm of the catholic church. They have no official standing within the church but they believe themselves to be defensive to the extent that they speak out against anti-catholic bias, of which in our media, there are tons. I'm always frustrated by the sheer number of times that a catholic priest is portrayed as a pedophile. They are portraying the minority of people as the majority, unfortunately. I feel terrible for the victims of priest sexual abuse, I just wish that people would realize that, contrary to stereotypes, pedophilia 101 is not a class we took in seminary. It is not a part of canon/church law. It is not something encouraged by the Bible. It is definitely not part of what a good priest does. Saying that all priests are pedophiles is similar to saying that all asian people are good at math. But, the speaker for the catholic league the other day came out and denounced media coverage. In that aspect, we are in agreement. However, his ugly characterization of the media as being run by atheistic judaism was the stupidest stereotype that he could have employed. If you think that the media is unfair, say that you do and make an intelligent argument for protecting human life from natural conception until natural death or being fair to the majority of priests or protecting legitimate marriage. Don't make ignorant nazi comments that ruin anything productive you have to say. It only makes us look worse.

No comments:

5 E B: inviting the uncomfortable

 Friends Peace be with you.  Have you ever made a friend that you were skeptical of how long your friendship would last? Sometimes, when...