Saturday, December 18, 2004

Homily Preparation

When a non-catholic christian minister prepares their sunday preaching, they usually say that they are preparing their sermon. A Catholic ordained minister, on the other hand, calls it a homily. The difference is about 15 to 20 minutes. A sermon is expected to last between 25 and 30 minutes whereas a homily is more likely to be 7 to 10. I've learned that it takes about one hour of preparation for every minute of preaching so that means that I try to get started early enough in the week to make sure that I'm not singling out seven hours on Saturday to get it all done. Unfortunately it does happen, however, when I can't do it any other time than Saturday, which is what is happening today. I find myself just a few hours away from the time when mass will start hurriedly trying to get my homily done. This week has been filled with reconciliation, meetings, and other stuff, so much so that I just haven't been able to get it done before today. So, I'll keep this short so that I can spend enough time to have a good message.

No comments:

5 E B: inviting the uncomfortable

 Friends Peace be with you.  Have you ever made a friend that you were skeptical of how long your friendship would last? Sometimes, when...