"Turn away from sin and be faithful to the gospel"
or
"Remember, you are dust and unto dust you shall return"
Both of these phrases will be uttered by countless numbers of priests and lay people as they receive smudged crosses on their foreheads in penitence for the upcoming forty days of Lent. Are we crazy? Are we gluttons for punishment? Hardly! We are people who remind themselves once a year that we make mistakes. We are people who want to make up for those mistakes. The ashes are not outward signs as the Pharisees are criticized for displaying in the gospel. They are an outward statement of inward conversion that we are pledging to do for the next seven weeks of Lent (Forty days is seven weeks when you don't count Sundays - The Lord's Day!) Just like a team will wear matching jerseys so the members of the church begin with a matching smudge of dirt to remind us of one thing...nobody's perfect.
Tuesday, February 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 OT A: The way to get along is to talk over when we disagree
Friends Peace be with you. I am very conflict avoidant. If I realize I’m going to have to confront someone who I believe has wronged me, I...
-
Friends Peace be with you. I was thinking about ways to modernize my homilies. Fifteen years ago, I heard about a Protestant pastor w...
-
I've grown to appreciate weddings in the past year. It started when I had a series of people that I really respect and love get married....
-
Friends Peace be with you. In the northern part of Israel, there is a place called Mount Arbel. It is located close to one of Jesus’ of...
No comments:
Post a Comment